Excellent. I can have my experiment paused at any stage by just cover and lock the project box. All the wiring and components are undisturbed. Open the box and the project can be continued. Now, I can have my hardware “saved” and “opened” just like the software codes.
I’ve started the build now, so I thought I’d start a new notes post.
- Review of the FC board I’m using (MultiWii Lite), with useful information
- Good wiring diagram
- Configuration instructions for the FC
- Useful thread explaining PID values and how to tune them
- Some information about getting the MultiWii bluetooth module to work with a laptop (maybe)
- Very, very useful walkthrough on electronics setup, including tx settings
- Config.h settings
- Another useful wiring and setup writeup
- Bluetooth adapter for the Multiwii — neat
- Multiwii FAQ, lots of useful links
- Good-looking writeup on PID tuning – for later.
I finished those improvements to Captain Quack, but, like an idiot, I forgot to take pictures of the changes. Again. And it blew up. Again. This time, though, I did get a video:
Pleasingly, the damage wasn’t nearly as bad this time. The end panels were completely undamaged, so those bigger vents definitely worked. The front and back panels were damaged but not as badly as before, and the bottom panel and top compartment were completely fine. The pyro did blow a hole through the mesh on the end vent, though. So I guess that mesh is not strong enough:
I am sure that it’s a good idea to keep working on making the box work well with Mk9 pryo, though. It makes a fantastic bang and is very theatrical. Mk5s are totally weedy by comparison. For version 3, then, I’ll be making some more changes:
- I’m going to extend the final warning period a bit. 3 seconds isn’t quite long enough for people to get clear
- I’m going to make the make the switch on top more robust. Although briefed to be gentle, players always belt the shit out of it, and I think the adrenaline makes that unlikely to be avoidable
- I’m going to make vents on the front and back of the box, the same as are on the ends, and use much more robust mesh
- I’m going to go over the code and test it very thoroughly to make sure no more gremlins creep in — there was a bug with the button during the game.
Some more photos:
I’ve been working on lots of things over the last couple of months, which I have shamefully neglected to write up. I’m going to write some catch-up posts over the next couple of days! Watch this space.